The information below lists things youíll need to prepare for filling out your application and evidence youíll need to mail separately as supporting documentation.
Filling out a VA Form 21-526 , Veteranís Application for Compensation and/or Pension
Filling out a VA Form 28-1900 , Disabled Veteranís Application for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
Filling out a VA Form 22-1990 , Application for Education Benefits
Information to Prepare Answers
Evidence to Send VA
1. Active Duty, Reserve Duty or National Guard Duty information
Your DD214 or other separation papers for all periods of service unless you are filing a Benefits Delivery at Discharge or Quick Start claim while on active duty or full-time duty.
Click here for VA's Predischarge Program website.
3. List of disabilities you are claiming, including
Copies of medical records you have
Medical evidence showing you currently have this disability
Medical evidence indicating that the disability was caused by or arose during your active service
If you are filing a Benefits Delivery at Discharge or Quick Start claim, you must send a copy, or original, of your service treatment records to the specified Regional Office to process your claim. Please call toll-free 1-800-827-1000 for the address to send your service treatment records.
6. Information about you and your spouseís previous marriages including dates and places of those marriages and the dates and places those marriages ended
7. Information about the children who live with you, including their names, Social Security numbers, dates and places of birth
8. Information about children not living with you, including their names, dates and places of birth, Social Security numbers, and amounts that you contribute in child support for them
Copies of the public birth records for each child you claim as a dependent (May be required in some cases)
Copies of the court records for adoption for each adopted child
10. Information about your nurs